Hollywood Santa Monica Neighborhood Association
Block Captain Newsletter
Neighborhood news from the board:
At each board meeting, we generally discuss construction in the neighborhood with regard to conservation rules, crime news, membership updates, Expanded Neighborhood Patrol updates, association funds, Welcome Basket distribution and anything new that’s going on.
The board elected new officers for 2018. They are: President Norman Alston, Vice President Chris Ball, Treasurer Travis Mayberry and Secretary John Fancher.
We welcomed several new board members: David Abbondanzio, Charles Margiotta, Sara Ramos, Linda Robles and Liz Simmons, returning to the board after a few years’ absence. Also returning are myself (Jamie Johnson), Ed Zahra and Hooman Shamsa.
The board has established several new committees to coordinate the various works needed to be done in the neighborhood. Board members are on each committee, but we are soliciting for new members to join from the neighborhood. I hope block captains and others throughout the neighborhood might be interested in the following topics and choose to join one or more of the following committees:
- Communications (involves printing, soliciting and/or writing content for our quarterly newsletter, organizing each quarterly meeting, maintaining and developing our website and communicating regularly with the neighborhood via email, blog, website and other means.)
- Membership (involves tracking membership numbers, maintaining information on the website, welcoming new members with letters and membership cards, maintaining and organizing membership name badges, signing up new members and answering questions at each quarterly meeting and brainstorming and putting into place ideas for increasing membership in HSMNA.)
- Landscaping (involves maintaining the three triangles and monument areas in the neighborhood, picking the “Yard of the Month” and communicating with the newsletter regarding landscape issues.)
- Budget (involves anticipating and tracking funding needs for all of our committees and monitoring expenditures throughout the year.)
- Bylaws (involves reviewing the association bylaws and introducing changes to be voted on by the membership.)
- Social (involves planning and putting on all the neighborhood parties and social gatherings, including the Easter parade and party, Halloween chili cook-off and party and the Christmas party.)
- Expanded Neighborhood Patrol (involves meeting with the officers assigned to our neighborhood, answering questions about ENP, presenting information regarding ENP at meetings and preparing crime statistics regularly, as well as tracking ENP membership.)
- Code/Zoning/Conservation District (involves ensuring that all neighborhood construction meets requirements in our conservation code, following up with city code enforcement, and keeping abreast of any changes that might be needed in the code itself.)
- Home Tour (includes planning and putting on the annual Home Tour and Auction Party.)
Please consider being a part of any of these committees and let your neighbors know we are looking for volunteers who have an interest or talent in any of the above areas. You can contact me directly or email@example.com
Welcome basket update:
We ended 2017 delivering 62 welcome baskets throughout the neighborhood.
In January and February, we delivered 8 welcome baskets. I am holding on to 7 additional welcome baskets that still need to be delivered to homes that have sold on Cordova (my street), Vivian (Kate’s), Hammond (Mary’s), Shadyside (Justin’s), Valencia (Barbara’s) and one on Santa Fe that I’ll deliver.
Block Captain news:
We are welcoming Stacy Jo Moore as the new block captain on Hammond. Thanks for volunteering, Stacy Jo!
We had 11 of our 38 block captains volunteer to help deliver 2018 HSMNA Membership Cards. That was a huge help and much appreciated. Thanks to Nancy Bouthilet, Elisabeth Mayberry, John Ozmun, David Leeson, Justin Henry, Barbara Mandle, Brooke Hebert, Lucy McCauley, Stacy Jo Moore, Melanie Cathey and Latifa Amdur.
The new membership cards added about seven new businesses that agree to provide a 10 percent discount to HSMNA members, bringing to 24 the number of businesses participating. Members get a discount at On Rotation Brewery, Kelli Slate Dentistry, Craft Beer Cellar, Orangetheory Fitness, I Love Juice Bar, studio6 Fitness and the T Shop, in addition to returning sponsors 2-shea, Blow Salon, Buzzbrews Kitchen, Chips Hamburgers, Curiosities, Digg’s Tacos, Hand & Stone Spa, Lakewood Ace Hardware, Redenta’s Garden, Sherwin-Williams White Rock, Talulah and HESS, the Libertine, the LOT, Times Ten Cellars, Turquoise & Lavender, Unleavened Fresh Kitchen and Yumilicious.
If you’re not yet a member, please consider joining at $30 individual or $60 family.
Next quarterly meeting is April 17.
The 2018 Hollywood Santa Monica Home Tour, Auction Party and Art in the Park will be April 20-22. These events are the association’s only fund-raiser for the year, and some of the proceeds are donated to area schools. The remainder goes to fund the HSMNA budget for the rest of the year.
The following homes were selected to be featured this year: 6942 Lindsley, 427 Monte Vista, 904 Clermont, 6915 Santa Monica and 602 Monte Vista.
The Home Tour is always looking for volunteers. They need volunteers in each of the five featured homes Friday night, Saturday and Sunday to guide people through the home. There are multiple shifts each day and multiple volunteers in each home. This is a really fun task; you get to meet lots of people as well as get in free to all five of the homes, not just the one you’re volunteering in.
Another big need is for donations of items for the Auction Party. If you have any ideas, please visit the HSMNA web page and email the Home Tour committee.
A full listing of upcoming events in the neighborhood, around the neighborhood and of interest in the city has been posted on out website.